May Member Meeting - 05/25/2021
Called to order:Nikki Carrion and introductions of new and old members.
Present: Christine Carpenter, Nikki Carrion, Sally Browne, Janet Buls, Josie Flatgard, Melody Rosche, Tammy Turner, Ruben Carrion, Brenda Vavroch, Katie Boaldin, Steven Eilers
Minutes: Questions on the Health Champion Award May and June Receivers. No other comments or questions. Motion to approve Sally Browne, 2nd Christine Carpenter.
Treasurers Report: Current balance - $4,041
- Balance of $3,816.78, with dues from INRCOG received, payments to Leverage $364.95 for signs and brochures for the Practical Back Yard. An audit will be held soon with potential dates sent to members of the board after the meeting.
Theme Group Updates
- The Practical Backyard Tour -June 19th Saturday 10-1pm. Volunteers needed by members to help as greeters at each location. Posters have been delivered to sponsors and other public places. Continued publicity at area Farmers Markets, Face Book, sponsors, and word of mouth. Event listed on CF Tourism page and launched the Facebook pre-event gift card give away for those who are attending or interested.
- Volunteers needed June 12 Urban Farmers Market for booth from 8-12pm, shifts or full length available to help advertise for Backyard Tour.
- Facebook Live event Monday June 21st announcing prize winners for pick up at Extension. Budgeted for Facebook boost of event for $40 2-weeks prior to event.
Health & Wellness
- Clinic location moved in April/May - Open House at new clinic possibly combined with a Balance Education Session
- NEIA Area Agency on Aging - Senior Nutrition Farmers Market voucher program starts June 1. Application is available for low-income seniors to receive vouchers.
- NEIA AAA - hosting an instructor training 2-Day course in Tai Chi for volunteer class leaders July 7th and 8th in Dysart.
- Embrace the Race 5K June 16th Event in conjunction with Waverly Heritage Days
Fresh Produce Availability
- No report given
- Waterloo and CF farmers markets every Saturday morning and 4 more in surrounding areas. Kimball & Ridgeway location has moved. Waverly Saturday Morning only no longer having one on Tuesday.
Promotions and Development Report
- Urban Farmers market no longer requires liability insurance for groups similar to HCVC so potential dates for booths will be set.
- Any event information for newsletters is due June 1.
- All Backyard Tour information is on HCVC website and Facebook.
- Community HCVC Brochure/ Mailer - Ruben has shared information and ideas with UNI Student for possible draft design to be reviewed and approved 2-3 weeks.
- Health Champions - Present June Award, Steve will
- Possible Face to Face Meeting June 22nd at Extension Office
- Board Members send head shots and bios to Sally
- NAACP chapter is having an event at Gates Park Juneteenth from 1-6pm. Bike Rodeo Event will be a part of the kids activities that afternoon
- Cedar Valley Unitarian Church Saturday June 15th 9-11:30am- Pollinator Garden Planting
Steve Eilers moved to adjourn; Sally Browne seconded the motion. The meeting adjourned 3:27pm.
Submitted by Brenda Vavroch