Our vision is a healthy Cedar Valley for all to live, grow, and thrive.
Our mission is to form partnerships that build community coalitions and capacity that will enhance the health of the Cedar Valley through education, outreach, and advocacy.
Healthy Cedar Valley Coalition Values
- We hold ourselves accountable for creating a healthy Cedar Valley for future generations.
- Both our internal work and our work with individuals, organizations and communities will inspire and encourage cooperation and collaboration.
- We will favor decisions that create long-term improvement for our communities over short-term expediency for the Healthy Cedar Valley Coalition (HCVC) or the individuals and organizations we serve.
- The best decision will be the decision that provides the best end result for the health of the Cedar Valley.
- Any action taken at the HCVC will treat all parties involved with respect, compassion, generosity, humanity, grace and sense of humor.
- We will encourage all to work side by side, sharing in each other's wisdom to effect greater change.
- We will encourage shared ownership of and responsibility for the future we are creating.
- We will model the behaviors we want to see in others in the decisions we make and the actions we take.
We will encourage individuals and groups to see the abundance of resources already available and help them identify ways to build upon those capacities.
In January 2010, a dozen or so people, many of whom were strangers to each other, gathered together to explore how the Cedar Valley could become a healthy place that served all populations. It was a time for daydreaming-or, more accurately, someday-dreaming. The group noted many positive steps already happening in the Cedar Valley but wanted to know, 'What would the Cedar Valley look like in 25-30 years if we work toward our vision of creating a healthy Cedar Valley for all to live, grow, and thrive?' Three themes emerged from the brainstorming session:
- Maximize Fresh Produce Availability by: Expanding urban agriculture; educating in schools on gardening and food preservation; and promoting health, economic, and social benefits of home, community, and neighborhood gardens.
- Maximize Health and Well Being by: Affecting change in health and wellness lifestyle practices throughout various parts of the community through education and engagement, especially with children as advocates to the family.
- Enhance and Sustain Human Health by: Protecting Iowa's air, water, and land.
The group became Healthy Cedar Valley Coalition, with the vision of a healthy Cedar Valley for all to live, grow, and thrive. Our action-oriented mission is to form partnerships that build community coalitions and capacity that will enhance the health of the Cedar Valley through education, outreach, and advocacy.
|Healthy Cedar Valley Coalition Board