March Member Meeting - 03/22/2022
Called to order: 2:35pm
Present: Sally Browne, Steve Eilers, Tammy Turner, Ruben Carrion, Brenda Vavroch
Minutes: Reviewed January Minutes (SB- motioned TT -2nd)
- February Balance $6,908.09
- Changes were related to incoming dues, 5-2-1-0 sensory stencils purchase
Theme Group Updates
- Back Yard Tour-monthly meeting site selection narrowed down 7 sites asking for descriptions and using Green Iowa AmeriCorps to help put things together. Will need to request for signage and marketing funds from HCVC soon.
Any suggestions for Evansdale area?
- Food Bank - ISU partnership grant for adding raised beds and watering system was awarded, will be helping to promote the garden produce and garden volunteering more.
Health & Wellness
- Open House - Rock Valley, hoping to move forward depending (Covid #) Theme: Balance Focus, pelvic health, incontinence awareness
Fresh Produce Availability
- Local Food and Film Festival - Hearst Center March 5th wrap up
Collected a few more names for the newsletter
Approx. attendees 120, 20 attended the film and good attendance for the class
Group discussed revamping display booth to make it more inviting
Promotions and Development Report
- Submitted Guernsey Grant proposal March 15th - Color me Human challenge - purchase 7 local African American children authors books and distribute copies to all 59 area libraries. The Authors have also agreed to visit libraires for a reading. Grant amount $11,000 - requested.
Award notifications in May
Asked group members for interest in helping or doing additional readings and themed activities themselves possibly this summer and fall.
- Cowboy card was sent to print - 500 copies
- Next Newsletter Date: near June 6th - with backyard tour and farmers market information
- HCVC Promotion Booth - HCVC at Farmers Markets, specifically for Backyard Tour but can have/do other events too.
- Facebook page - discussion about other local events to help members and groups like and share local events to get a broader reach
- Coalition Roles Summary - positions open (KB - motioned, RC - 2nd)
- VP - Kathryn Gilbery ( BHCPH - Educator)
- Fresh Produce - Mary Wallingford (ISU- Master Gardner)
- Steve will talk with both before next meeting
- Brain Injury Alliance of NEIA - meeting location TBD-4th Tuesday of the month - April 26th first time meeting after two-year break
- May 15th Pollinator Garden planting event at CV Unitarian Universalists
- Extension's Seed giveaway - March 30,31 April 1
- Membership Renewals for 2022 TIME!!!
Individual membership: $5.00
Organization or Business membership: $20.00.
Payable to Healthy Cedar Valley Coalition
Meeting ended at 3:45pm (SB -motioned, TT 2nd)