May Member Meeting - 07/27/2021
Minutes not yet approved
Called to order: Nikki Carrion and introduction of members.
Present: Christine Carpenter, Ruben Carrion, Tammy Turner, Brenda Vavroch, Sarah Steinmeyer, Sally Browne, and Nikki Carrion and Katie Boaldin via Zoom
Minutes: Minutes were approved as corrected.
Treasurers Report: Current balance - $3601.07.
- The $5,000 check from Titus was received for the Embrace the Race event of Friday, July 16. Christine moved to allow the treasurer to reimburse Toshia Burrell for expenses for Embrace the Race without needing additional signatories as long as receipts are provided. Tammy seconded the motion. The vote carried unanimously.
- The domain name was renewed.
- HCVC will pay half of the cost of Riverloop Amphitheater for the local food and film event on August 12.
- At a future meeting we will discuss changing the by-laws to read that any check to an outside entity can be written by the treasurer as the only signatory if satisfactory receipts are provided.
Promotions and Development Report
- Ruben and Sally met to select images and wording for the cowboy card. Ruben displayed the current mock-up. The card may not be finished by Aug 12.
- We have a booth reserved for the Local Food and Film Festival on Aug. 12.
Theme Group Updates
- At the Sustainable Backyard Tour, held Saturday, June 19, 105 people signed the waiver, with another 35 volunteers, including Green Iowa Americorps personnel and homeowners. No Facebook boosting was done this year, but a Facebook Live event was held with Cedar Falls Tourism before the event. North Cedar and Gardens Galore were the most popular sites. Disappointingly, the Courier did not cover any of it, and that fact might be reflected in the attendance. 21% of attendees filled out surveys. The prize drawing was held afterwards via Facebook Live.
Fresh Produce Availability
- The schedule for the Local Food and Film Festival on August 12 at the Riverloop Amphitheater is
(1) set-up from 4:30-5:30;
(2) food trucks and organization booths from 5:30-7;
(3) the featured film Kiss the Ground at 7 pm;
(4) We Arose Co-op members commenting on the film at 8:30.
Health & Wellness
- Embrace the Race was held July 16 in Waverly. Ruben was there to introduce HCVC. The number of participants was approximately 150, three times that of last year. Ruben spoke on disability and diversity and read a book to the kids in attendance.
- Tammy explained her new position at INBRCOG as an Iowa Waste Exchange specialist. Her work covers 28 counties. Tammy's new email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sarah Steinmeyer asked for input on how to make the work she does as an educator for the Black Hawk County Health Department more media-based.
- Ruben proposed writing a Guernsey Grant to place children's books by local authors of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds in area libraries. He has contacted three writers to involve initially; they would go to libraries and read their books to the kids. The grant application deadline is August 15. Sally offered to help write the grant.
- Tammy reminded us of the idea of HCVC placing little libraries in local gardens.
Sarah moved the meeting adjourn. Tammy seconded.
Submitted by Sally Browne