July Member Meeting - 07/28/2020
Present: Steven Eilers, Christine Carpenter, Tammy Turner, Katie Boaldin, Sally Browne
Minutes: Minutes of general meetings will be posted on the website as soon as possible so members can review them prior to the next general meeting. Until approval, they will be labeled as "Not yet approved."
Treasurers Report: The account is now at $3,800.96. The 2018 and 2019 audits will be mailed to Sally and Ruben for signing. Christine will renew the domain name; the amount is under $18.
Theme Group Updates:
- The Health Champion Award for August was awarded to Cedar Valley Makers for their face mask kits.
- The Solid Waste Management Commission is interviewing for two Americorps volunteers to be stationed at the Waste Trac office. They would work in the Waterloo Schools, one to help with operations and the other with curriculum.
- Waterloo Center for the Arts, in cooperation with Hartman Reserve, has developed orienteering activities that can be done during social distancing.
- The Fall 2020 drop-off event for household toxic materials disposal and electronics recycling has been canceled. Waste Trac may do an education campaign about how to dispose of or recycle these materials.
- A newsletter could go out Sept. 10 with a deadline before Labor Day. Farmers' markets could still be promoted. Community booths at the Urban Farmers' Market have probably been cancelled for the year.
Health & Wellness
- Outreach activities are on hold for the rest of the year.
- Tammy requests content for the HCVC Facebook page.
Access to Fresh Produce
- There was no report from this group.
Promotions and Development report
- Christine and Nikki presented to the Rough Risers Kiwanis club on July 15. Nikki requested $350 to purchase a television set for the veterans' exercise classes.
- The Powerpoint slides developed for the Kiwanis event could be used to update the website. Christine will ask Dr. Catherine Zeman at UNI if she has a student able to update the website. Val could continue to maintain it.
- Sally will check with the graphic arts program at HCC for help updating the logo; we will determine guidelines for the update and could provide funds to promote a competition.
- The Kiwanis Powerpoint could be converted to video or other format to put online. Christine will send the version with her notes to Sally, who will forward it to the Board.
Unfinished business: There was no additional unfinished business.
New business: Need for new secretary to replace Jacki Schares We discuss who has a good reason to join HCVC and review organizations previously active. Is there a need for a letter making the case for involvement in HCVC, or is a personal ask better? The newsletter could note our need for a secretary. We can inquire who will replace Jacki at INRCOG. Conclusion is to bring names next time either for membership or the secretary position and compare notes.
Member announcements: Sally Browne and Donna Davis will give a presentation on "Supporting Pollinators in Our Own Yards" at Hartman Reserve's 2nd Sunday Series on August 9.
G. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned.