May Member Meeting - 05/28/2019
Called to order: 2:30pm
Present: Sally Browne, Tammy Turner, Mike Henning, Steven Eilers, Grace Traini, Tessa Ladsten, Christine Carpenter, Katie Boaldin, Nora Kurtovic
Minutes: March minutes approved
Treasurers Report: Current balance - $4256.32
- Dues start January 1 to Dec 31. $5 for individual and $20 for organization
- Must pay your dues to vote
- In-kind work also acceptable for paying dues
Theme Group Updates
- Sustainability - Practical Backyard Tour June 15 from 10-1. Printing costs went up and fortunately Tammy doesn't need any signs made this year. She is borrowing arrows from Cedar Falls. Still about $100 left in approved budget for any necessary last minute signs and social media boosts. Over 600 "Interested" people via Facebook!
- Health and Well Being
- Gardening/Fresh Produce - Pick a Better Snack education at schools in Waterloo. Working with Food Bank to pilot program involving food bundles with recipes done in microwave, toaster oven; dependent on what’s available to consumer. Recipes still being developed. Ingredients included
Announcements/New Business: Let Sally know any corrections about the newsletter she is planning to distribute as well as the website.
- Exchange Club Bike Competition - need helmets in order to register.
- Waterloo PD Bike and Lollipops - Still looking for summer program sites. Discussion continues around what to do about park sites due to very low numbers last summer. Food Bank was more successful in advertising their feed sites last summer and their numbers were much better.
- YMCA Kids Fest in April - Possible spot for HCVC to be present
- Pathways - Opioid prevention grant allows free naloxone kits to help or assist with opioid overdose situations. Anyone trained receives free kit. Pathways has a high demand on vaping presentations in schools. Students are vaping with other substances beyond what intended (beyond nicotine).
Old Business: Looking to hear back from the Guernsey grant renewal for veteran's program. Decision will be announced June 1.