September Member Meeting
Called to order: 2:31pm
Present: Sally Browne, Tori Redfern, Malinda Gudgeon, Jacki Schares, Nora Kurtovic, Bryan Foster, Jodie Huegerich, Tammy Turner, Sarah Steinmeyer, Megan Gregorsole and Jeremy Everett from GreenIowa Americorp
Minutes Distributed for review and updated during the meeting
Treasurers Report No updates
Newsletter and Website update
- 25.6% opens to newsletter online, tells names of subscribers who opened the newsletter. Suggestion to put different things in the subject line to engage more people to open it up and read. Time sensitive information may encourage someone to open the newsletter.
- ****Please take a look at the updated website.***
Sally will take suggestions to improve the site.
Please look for your organization, logo and accurate information for your organization.
Theme Group Updates
- Sustainability - Behind the Scenes Tour - Friday October 20 from 10am-Noon. Meet at Waste Trac Education Outreach. Limit to 30 people. Four locations: CF Recycling Center/Transfer Station, Tour the Black Hawk County Landfill
- Sustainability - Backyard Conservation Tours meeting will be in December or January
- Sustainability - What's in Iowa's Garbage data will be available soon
- Health and Well-Being - Update on Summer Feed Sites - record number of students attended, great partnerships. Three locations at Gardner Park, Longfellow and Lafayette Park. Great student engagement
Other Member News
- Nora presented updates for Erica on the Tobacco Prevention Grant, the Iowa Youth Survey and Counter Tools Mapper - tobacco use in youth in BH County
2% - 6th grade, 8% - 8th grade have tried tobacco not including electronic cigarettes among other usage statistics including electronic cigarettes, hooka, etc.
143 tobacco retailers in BH County. 67 retailers are within 500 steps of a park or a school.
- Farm Crawl – Sunday, October 8. Ten farms within six area counties. Goal is to bring people together to farms to learn where food comes from and learn about the great things they offer. Printable guides available online at www.cee.uni.edu/farmcrawl
- AmeriHealth Caritas - Kids Event Wednesday October 4 at Pathways in the basement 5p-7p. Supper provided. AmeriHealth members can attend. Teach parents ER visit vs Urgent Care vs. treating at home.
- Household Hazardous Material and Electronics Recycling event - 955 vehicles, 118 palettes worth of TV, monitors and other e-waste. All volunteers were present and more volunteers may be needed next time. Next Recycling event will be in Waterloo Waste Water Treatment Plant in April 14th.
- Great Apple Crunch in seven of the Waterloo Schools on October 5. May need help washing 3500 apples washing October 4 in the AM at East or West.
Meeting ended at 3:27pm