January Member Meeting - 01/22/2018
Present: Bryan Foster, Christine Carpenter, Tammy Turner, Jodie Huegerich, Nikki Carrion, Stephanie Johnson, Hannah Meyers, Janelle Brehm, Sally Browne
Minutes: November, 2017, minutes were approved.
Treasurers Report: End-of-year report showed a balance of $4,013.31 and the account ready for yearly audit. Membership dues are $5 per person or $20 per organization.
Theme Group Updates
- The Sustainable Backyard Tour is tentatively scheduled for third week of June. A planning meeting will be held on Feb 3. Refer suggestions for sites to Tammy; they need an equal number of sites (3 or 4) for both Waterloo and Cedar Falls. One emphasis this year will be small fruits
- The budget last year was $200 and the same amount seems reasonable for this year. The old signs can be reused. Tammy moved and Sally seconded to allocate $200 for the Tour, to be used for Facebook boosts, among other needs.
- Saturday, April 14, will be the Electronics and Household Chemicals Recycling event at the Waterloo Wastewater Plant.
Health & Wellbeing
- The Local Food and Film Festival will be Saturday, March 3, at the Hearst Center for the Arts in Cedar Falls. New this year will be two gardening classes and shorter films that repeat each hour. HCVC may have a table there but at least will have banner and business cards displayed. Jodie distributed flyers for the event.
- Past participation and projects are recapped. There is interest in reviving Cedar Valley Grows.
- Janelle reported that 3,542 lbs of food were gleaned last year for the NEIFB; 15,000 lbs rescued from farmers' markets; and 51,588 lbs donated by farmers. Suggestions for this year included publicizing "Plant an extra row" at the Local Food and Film Festival and also providing basic info about tax credits.
Suggestions for New Projects:
Nikki asked if HCVC has any projects involving exercise, especially for older adults. Christine said not currently but had talked about providing classes in low-income housing. Nikki is currently renting space at the Cedar Falls Community Center or could do yoga at the Arboretum. She is also interested in outreach to veterans and has held classes through a Guernsey Grant at the Jesse Cosby Center in Waterloo.
A newsletter will be sent out about a week and a half prior to the Local Food and Film Festival. The deadline for submitting items to Sally is Feb 5.
- The Ignite the Cancer Conversation book club begins next month with discussions of The Emperor of All Maladies. Participation is free but you must register.
- "Break the Ice" week at the YMCA from Jan 22 to 27 offers the opportunity to try out classes free of charge before registering.
Schedule of 2018 Meetings:
General membership meetings for the rest of the year are March 26, May 21, July 23, September 24, and November 26.
Tammy moved and Christine seconded that the meeting adjourn.