November Member Meeting 11/28/2017
Called to order: 3:09pm
Present: Bobbi Jacobs, Jodie Huegerich, Kathryn Gilbery, Hannah Meyers, Janelle Brehm, Nora Kurtovic, Christine Carpenter
Minutes: Read & motion to approve - Christine, seconded by Jodie
Treasurers Report: Current balance - $4,041
- Business cards have been printed; there was a mistake so they were reprinted. Copyworks gave us the reprint for 50% off. The $27 cost of reprint will be in the November report
- Cristine will pass on the Coalition's thanks to the designer - all agreed the cards look very sharp
- Cards will be passed out in January
Theme Group Updates
Health & Wellness
Nora from Pathways Presented
- Irish Fest & the Backyard Garden Tour were officially Tobacco Free
- Coalition Voted on becoming officially Nicotine Free. Voted - All in favor, none in opposition. The Healthy Cedar Valley Coalition is a Nicotine Free coalition. During the Board meeting, we will complete the paper work and pledge to return to Nora.
- Pathways has established an Opioid Detox Center with a Methadone Clinic for their clients. They are increasing the awareness of old pain medications being a target or gateway into opioid abuse. Black Hawk County has three drop boxes for old pain medication, or any prescription or controlled drug; The Cedar Falls Police Department, The Waterloo Police Department, and the Waterloo Sheriff's Office. UNI and most pharmac’s will also properly dispose of old/unnecessary prescription medications. Contact Pathways for more information
- Problem Gambling Grant - Nora passed out posters for public spaces. She notes that the holiday season is a time where first time gamblers can get hooked (scratch off stocking stuffers, casino specials)
Jacki Shares - Reelected as Secretary
Tammy Turner - Reelected to Sustainability Team Lead
Janelle Brehm - Elected to Fresh Produce Availability Team Lead
- Local Food & Film Festival will be held on March 3rd from 10-2pm at the Hearst Center. It will feature multiple short films, more information to come.
- Greens to Go will be holding its winter market from 9:30-Noon on December 16th at the 1st United Methodist Church in Waterloo (4th Street).
- Beyond Pink Team is beginning its book club in January. They will be reading Emperor of all Maladies. The club is free and can be attended in person or online. Contact Christine Carpenter for more information.
Meeting ended at 3:43pm
Recorded by Bobbi Jacobs