July Member Meeting
Called to order: 2:33pm
Present: Sally Browne, Christine Carpenter, Jacki Schares, Tammy Turner, Janelle from AmeriCorp and Nora Kurtovic
Minutes Sally highlighted topics discussed- approved
Treasurers Report As of June 30- $4,356.97
Domain name renewal $15
Theme Group Updates
- Sustainability- Update on Practical Backyard Tour- if anyone has an interesting spot for next year, please share with Tammy
74 waivers filled out, addt'l 29 people helped in some way (103 participants in some way)
Attendees preferred a map or more directions to each location
Prizes were not important enough to get the majority to finish the tour to SingleSpeed, considering increasing prizes/incentives
Feedback for next year included plant sales, more backyards to visit, interest in orchards and fruit trees, multiple tours for June, July and August
- Health and Well-Being- Nora shared items that will be distributed at the Summer Feeding sites including sunscreen and lip balm for students to take home.
- Dr. Zimmen from UNI sent Christine a symposium invite for September 21 and 22 at Drake University in Des Moines regarding Changes to Providing Safe Drinking Water in the Midwest
How does HCVC want to participate?
It was recommended to table whether or not to become a $250 sponsor for the August HCVC Board meeting with more time to gather information. The group who attended the July meeting supported the idea that HCVC participate in some way but were concerned whether we had enough interest to table an exhibit and still attend sessions.
- Our website has been free for nearly ten years and Christine was contacted regarding the site expiring. The current host is demanding we go into a new system and a potential charge to use WordPress. DreamHost is a potential new website host that could allow HCVC to maintain our website for free. If anyone knows someone who has an interest in website design or a designer who would be willing to redesign our website on WordPress which allows us to keep updating the site ourselves. HCVC has until August 17 when the page is set to expire.
Possible ideas include Hawkeye students or AmeriCorp interns
- If ever we need a different space to host a meeting, Pathways has offered a space.
- IrishFest will be Tobacco Free this year. Needs signs before the event in August. Please work with Erika at Pathways
- Countertobacco.org and using the mapper was shared with the coalition as a site that provides factual and statistical information to counteract the marketing and advertising of tobacco and sales
- AmeriCorps is looking to find more local produce to fill the food pantry, connecting with community gardens and Farmer's Markets that did not sell produce before it goes to compost or garbage. Also searching for more volunteers to assist in this effort.
- Friday Market at the Park is this Friday, July 28
- BH County drop off for hazardous chemicals and electronic recycling and is September 23.
- Pollinator gardens are looking good on Cedar Heights Drive.
Meeting ended at 3:40pm